As the days are becoming shorter, and darkness is upon us quicker each day, it is easy to feel stress come upon us also. We may feel we do not have enough time to plan for the holidays, and on top of caring for a senior it is making us feel stretched too thin. Stress can happen in a variety of situations but can be dealt with when you know the right solutions.
Here are some suggestions by Comfort Keepers®
• Go to your favorite restaurant and enjoy your favorite meal. Taking a night off from cooking will allow you to relax and not worry about meal prep and cleanup.
• Exercise can be a great way to relieve stress! Head down to your local gym or take a walk around the neighborhood. Take the time to enjoy sunshine while it is here!
• Throw on a comfy pair of PJ’s and watch your favorite movie. This is a great stress reliever to do with the whole family.
• Breathing exercises and YOGA have also been proven to relieve stress. Youtube is a great resource for brief yoga exercises if you are short on time.
• Don’t be afraid to lose yourself in a good book or magazine!
Be sure to check with your doctor before doing any physical activity your body is not used to doing. Even though talking about what is making you stressed might make you realize everything you are responsible for, it can also be a good reliever. Talking things out leads to planning which leads to solutions.
Caring for a senior and a family, you can be stressful but with careful planning and activities you enjoy throughout your week, you will be on your way to a reducing stress. When you are stress free, your care giving is stress free and everyone is in a much better position. Let me know if these work or if you have other ideas to add!
submitted by: Kayleigh